Guys,
I‘ve always heard people giving this advice: “whatever your problems are, leave
them at the door”. Well, I never appreciated
this advice until recently when I was caught unawares by my coordinator day
dreaming during a training session. Let’s just say I was going through some
personal issues. Paying attention is crucial. “The most basic and powerful way
to connect to another person is to listen. Perhaps the most important thing we
ever give each other is our attention” Rachel Naomi Remen. Guess that’s why
coordinator is pissed right now…
The
worst case scenario is not having paid attention for a while and then asked to
make a presentation on a topic you know not very well. Of course you have bits
and pieces of information but imagine being asked to do it hapo hapo.Kuchanganyikiwa
nayo…Ok I’m sorry coordinator, my bad.
So,
guys, today I will be talking to you about steps to Effective Listening. So,
without further ado
Face the
Speaker and maintain eye contact
Eye contact is considered a basic
ingredient to effective communication.
Be attentive
I
realized that this is very easy to do as long as you follow the previous advice
of leaving your problems at the door as you enter. Make sure there are no
distractions around. Put your phone in silent mode coz the vibration is just as
bad as having your ringer on.
Listen to the
words, visualize and relate with what is being said
This
will go a long way to making the concepts and ideas stick in your medulla.
Human beings learn stuff best if most of their senses are involved in the
process. Therefore, creating a mental image, and imagining the color, feel and any
other characteristics based on your prior experiences will improve your chances
of remembering.
Wait for a
pause to ask clarifying questions
Asking
questions is the best way to get the speaker to elaborate on his concepts.
Try to feel
what the speaker is feeling
This
is closely related to the visualization process. By feeling what the speaker is
feeling about the topic at hand will assist you to remember the topic much
later because you involved other senses.
Pay attention
to nonverbal cues.
This
is done by associating the speaker’s body language to the topic being
discussed. Through the association, you will be able to remember concepts just
by the mere thought of how the speaker moved and posed while he/she was making
the presentation.
I
don’t know about you guys but these are great tips to remember the next time you
sit to listen to somebody making a presentation…Lesson learnt.

No comments:
Post a Comment