Wednesday, 16 April 2014

A DAY OUT WITH FRIENDS OF BASIC NEEDS FELLOWHIP



The whole group
CAROL: A chilly morning wind was not how I had envisioned the beginning of this day which had been planned from the beginning of the fellowship, but peeking out from my window I was met with sullen clouds and a draught that made me only cling to my covers more. Well, eventually I had to toss the toasty blankets, only to be met with marble faces outside my bedroom door; you see, this endeavour to learn about mental health issues began with my need to understand my family and even though I now understand and accept  them thanks to the knowledge gained in the fellowship, they have changed none and at times are still so irksome. Instead of breakfast together I had a fight with my folks, the day for me looked like it had gone to the dogs.

Two is always better than one and two families was what I needed this morning, and gratefully my Basic Needs family came through first with calls urging me to leave home no matter the dark cloud I felt was hanging over my head and with team work in organizing the day that effortlessly covered what I should have done. I felt encouraged and invigorated enough to leave home with my brother, who I was supposed to babysit, in tow. The agenda of the day being to get-to-meet-interact-with-educate-and-empower-the-friends-of-BasicNeeds day, I met up with friends who I had already invited to join us for the day.

Talent show haha
The day turned out to be more fun,interactive, educative, and basically awesome than I expected. My friends are still raving about it and truthfully, so am I. My colleagues at BasicNeeds will tell you more about the activities of the day.

ANN :An awesome moment was what i was looking foward to. Woke up with the strength of a lion. this particular day i had invited my sister, brother, and a very good friend of mine. it was meant to be a day full of events since we were to take our friends out to mingle with our  fellow colleagues at the basic needs fellowship where we go out to create awareness on mental health and epilepsy.

The day started well but the matatu with which we came with almost messed our day. had to be  dropped at githurai instead of Nairobi then from there took another matatu tto town. As they say better to be late than not coming, so we arrived late but luckly the events of the day had not started.

In the introduction round everyone did their best as no one wanted to be embarassed infront of their friends. I did my own part of the burgain by explaining advocacy and from there the fun began. We played kati, sang, did some rope skipping, and also danced. All i can say is that the day was a memorable day for me as i got to meet new people and also had some jaw cracking events.

As we speak my friends are asking when the next event will be. cant wait to finally come with them to basicneeds and show them around as they get to interact and learn more on mental health. This is actually a  day that will take long to be forgotten. Never had so much fun in my life before. Think i should do this more often. Thanks to all members of basicneeds fellowship for making the day the success it was.

 EMILY:The morning started with call from sitawa asking if everything was planned out well until i got a call that Carol was not feeling well. I simpathysed with her but I couldn't help much since I was far. We had shared tasks but we had to cover for our dear friend. It was hectic at first but as time moved on we saw the sunshine. I met my friends in town and we walked to the venue and atlast the eventful day was here. It was an amazing time playing the games that i last played years ago. Everybody showed happiness and joy as some showed their amazing talents.
The fun i had made me forget how the day had began... we ate food especially eggs my favourite and cracked jokes the day ended and i wished that i would meet the same poeple we had that day they were all amazing and fun to be with...
WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!! 
Randomness hehe

MUITA: It had been a long hectic for me as i was swamped with exams left right and center. So when the weekend arrived, I heaved a sigh of relief as i just wanted something to take my mind off the exams and the stress that comes along with exams. I woke up very early on Saturday morning as I had to rush to the offfice to get snacks that had been prepared earlier on. i remember panicking a little on my way back to town as there was mad traffic along Nyayo stadium and Bunyala road due to the Kids-fest that was ongoing on that day but i made it to town on time, picked up my frieds who by the way almost made me cry as they arrived in time and waited for me in town for almost one hour with no complaints whatsover.

We made it to Central parkl where the rest of the programme/day automatically fell in place. i was so tired from all the skipping and running (during rounders) such that by the time I got home, i just fell asleep like a heavy log. The icing of the cake to me was hearing our friends say that they had an awsome time and that they want to join us again and again. ..PHEWKS!!!!!
The Ladies who made the day a success
 Check out our  FB PAGE(Basic Needs Fellowship) for more pics

No comments: