Negative thinking has a way of quickly turning a good mood
into a bad one. Every person suffers from the occasional negative thought.
There are days we don’t feel that we’re at our best, days where it’s easy to
say “I’m not good at this. I want to give up.”
But for some people these negative thoughts may have a
snowball effect. One negative thought easily leads to another and yet another
until all that pent up negative thinking gives way to anxiety and depression.
For these people it’s easy to transition from “I don’t think I can finish this
in time” to “I’m not good at my job. I must be a failure.” no matter how untrue
these thoughts may actually be.
Whether you have the occasional negative thought or habitual
negative thinking, here are some tips to help you overcome negative thinking.
- Become aware of negative thoughts. The negative thinking that characterizes depression is usually automatic: these thoughts form a mental soundtrack that we don’t question. Try to become aware of negative thoughts. Once you recognize them, it will be easier for you to identify and avoid or eliminate triggers to your negative thinking.
- When you catch yourself dwelling on the negative. . . .do something different! When you recognize the same old soundtrack, try to turn it off by switching to something completely different. Switching your behavior will help shift your focus. Take a walk, call a friend, or watch a suspenseful movie etc
- Question your assumptions. Fear of being rejected can sometimes make us assume other people’s behavior is a reflection of their attitudes toward us. Usually, another person’s bad mood is the result of something else entirely. Stop worrying about what you did wrong unless you have proof.
- Avoid using absolutes. If you think or tell a partner, “You always let me down!” or “You’re never there for me,” you can convince yourself that the situation is worse than it is. Try to stay in the moment and deal with the particular disappointment at hand.
Any other helpful hints that you use for overcoming negative
thinking? Feel free to add to the list in the comment section.

No comments:
Post a Comment